This work was done from a photo of a Tetrapanax Leaf, also known as Rice Paper Plant. I worked with layers and filters to arrive at the final piece that you see below. I tried to capture the color of the sky at the time with both the clouds as well as the slightly greyed, robin’s egg blue shade and there was some interesting red/claret marks on the leaf that I wanted to keep in tact as it added a depth to the piece that I was hoping for.
This was an experiment in applying a Renaissance Tapestry to a photo of Madama Le Coultre, a Clematis that we grow in our moon garden. I used the Dreamscope app for this experiment and then brought it into Photoshop to further detail the piece and make it into a high-res final work for printing.
This piece was created from a series of experiments with layering various works created from multiple flower images. I wanted to create something otherworldly and unique and with this piece I am getting closer. I stopped at this variation as I liked the complexity of primary colors and shades between. It’s a step towards a new direction and I learned a great deal from the experiments leading up to this work.
This series was created from a photo of a leaf that I found on a path when we were walking through a spice plantation in Goa, India. The leaf struck me because of the beautiful patterning on it, so I decided to use it as the basis for a series. You can see the entire series on my retail site at the link below my work.
This piece was created from a photo of a canna lily blossom in our garden. I enjoy manipulating photos to the point where they become something quite different from what they started and take on an almost surreal beauty, with strong opportunities for pareidolia, a psychological phenomenon that causes people to see patterns in a random stimulus. This often leads to people assigning human characteristics to objects.
This is part of a small series that I did using a wrinkled and dried Tetrapanax Leaf. I loved the veining and the textural quality of the leaf and played with color to push the image in different directions.
This piece was done from a photo of a bearded daylily hybridized by Brad Best. His flowers are incredible and I wanted to capture its essence in a watercolor. This was the result.
This piece was created from a photo of blossoms from our Mother of Thousands plant in our greenhouse. It is a succulent that has beautiful orange blossoms and blooms once a year. It was a difficult photo to work with, but I think this particular experiment came out kinda cool. The detail in this piece has swirls that weave in and out of one another.
This particular work was created from an omen of good luck. I came across a Witch Moth above our doorway and that is an auspicious omen apparently. I took a photo of the giant moth and used it for a series of works and this is one of them.
These works were created from a photo of a flamingo that was nestled in it’s own feathers. It is not a photo that I took, it is one that I found on a site called Pexels, that has royalty free photos that are shared by photographers all over the world, this is one was by Cesar Aguilar. Many only require a credit and many don’t even require that as long as the image is not used as is for commercial purposes, but most can be used if they are altered. I didn’t have access to any flamingos and dreamt of using a photo of one for an series and that is how this series came about.
This new work was created from a photo of a stem of white canna blossoms from our moon garden. I was working with the image digitally and trying to create a watercolor effect with deep rich tones. For some reason, the final result made me think of a pink tutu, hence the name.
This piece was done from a simple photograph of some lichen and molds growing on a sandstone block in our garden. I thought the patterns were pretty interesting and decided to use the photo as a base for a few experiments. This was one of the ones that I liked.
Gender dysphoria is a condition where a person experiences discomfort or distress because there's a mismatch between their biological sex and gender identity. It's sometimes known as gender identity disorder (GID), gender incongruence or transgenderism. I cannot imagine the frustration and torment of feeling as though my body doesn’t match the gender that I associate with. The formidable strength of self that must be present for a person to transition from one gender to one that aligns with their heart and mind was the impetus for this piece.
This work was created from a photo of mushrooms that had some very intricate texture and pattern. I thought that applying the layering and filtering that I work with that it could create some interesting pareidolia and unusual interest. The pareidolia, for me on these works, is limited, but the textures were much better than anticipated and the colors produced from the techniques married well with one another.
This short series was all created from a photo of a fallen green chrysanthemum blossom from an arrangement we had. It was an experimentation in many ways to see what colors that I could pull out from layering and filtering from a single color flower.